Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Cat Even Loyal Dog Lovers Can Love

In our quest for a theme for our Christmas 2009 gift exchange we ended up deciding on "Cutesy Patootsy". First because, we all embrace the little girl inside of us and secondly, the budget was $10.00 (in keeping with America's current economic crisis - BTW: Barack, please get us out of Iraq). Of course this theme is subject to varied interpretations and it was meant to be that way. Considering the theme and the budget constraint, one might expect to open a present and see tiny, adorable knick-knacks (cutesy), or probably miniature candies (patootsy), or a framed picture of Taylor Lautner or Nick Jonas(either one of them definitely cutesy patootsy), but that's not what happened.

Now, you've heard of women who work together getting their menstrual cycle synch together, well I guess what happened to us was kinda like that. We all psychic-ly linked and decided that "Cutesy Patootsy" meant only one thing - that classic kawaii icon - Hello Kitty! Now, I really wasn't so surprised because ever since I can remember Sticky Fingers Ann has been robbing my desk of my Hello Kitty pencils. The entire booty comprised of brilliant things such as: mechanical pencils, light up stamps, personalized cards and notebooks, the whole gamut, all emblazoned with Hello Kitty's copyrighted image. We were all transported to when we were giggling little girls with pigtails and frilly dresses...well, ok my memory was invented, but still. Happiness and contentment defined us.

The gifts were great, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized that no one purchased the fake Sanrio stuff. My friends told me that in certain regions fakers abound and they produce not-quite-right Sanrio knock offs. I don't think I could fake a smile if I ended up opening a present with a cute image of a cat whose name is "Hello Katty". Meeeouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment