Thursday, October 29, 2009

You Ain't Ready for This Jelly!

There are too many sea creatures that I'm enamored with: The irascible seals, those playful dolphins, the lazy sloth, the slithery serpent, etc. But I think one of the more beautiful sigths to behold is the floaty, ethereal, and mysterious Jelly Fish. I just find them so beautiful. But, you better watch out! That beauty is fake. Like a passable tranny in dim light, you'll be lulled into submission and get stung! You ain't ready for that jelly! The threadlike tentacles around the edge of the bell can sting - Ok, I'm just fear-mongering. Their "stings" are not powerful enough to pierce human skin. But the part about a passable tranny is true. Most M to Fs I know carry daggers, or swiss army knives, or a mini-screwdriver...I'm just saying.

Check out my fuzzy video below of these beautiful creatures at the Aquarium of the Bay at Pier 39. They showcase Moon Jellyfish and the Brown Nettles, what I'm displaying is the former. The scientific name for this creature is Aurelia Aurita (cool, no? Like an old school drag queen). If I had a moon jelly fish pet I'll name her Aurelia Aurita too, but if it's a male, I'll call him Paco. Like other jellies, it primarily drifts with the current, even when swimming. They usually feed on crustaceans, mollusks, protozoas, and medusae.

FYI:Very tricky to find the entrace of the Aquarium of the Bay, you even need to go through some shops, but if you follow the signs you won't get lost.


No comments:

Post a Comment